Woot! It’s Friday! I’m pumped. This week has dragged and we have a busy weekend I am looking forward to starting. Before I steadily blast through work today, I wanted to share a recipe that Hubs has insisted start going on the regular dinner rotation. I can’t say that I disagree, given how tasty and healthy it is. Feel free to mix up the recipe to suit your tastes. I’ve done them with brown rice before, and also without, depending on how carbed up I feel like we need to be. Either way, they are delicious.
Tex-Mex Stuffed Peppers
4 peppers (green, red or yellow, depending on your preference)
1 lb ground turkey
1 yellow onion
1 can black or kidney beans (depending on your preference)
1 can diced tomatoes and green chilies (aka Rotelle)
Jalapenos (to taste preference)
Mexican cheese (to taste preference)
1. Preheat oven to 400.
2. Chop onion.
3. In a skillet, brown turkey and onion.
4. Cut the tops off the peppers and remove all seeds. Set them aside.
5. In a large mixing bowl, combine beans, tomatoes and chilies, jalapenos and turkey and onion mixture.
6. Spoon mixture into peppers. Top with cheese as desired. Place peppers upright in an oven-safe dish.
7. Place in oven for approximately 30 minutes. The cheese will really need to get brown in order to cook the peppers all the way through. If you prefer less-brown cheese on top, zap the peppers in the microwave for a minute before filling them.